Zsa Zsa Gabor
They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend, and judging by Zsa Zsa Gabor’s collection, she’s had a very social life indeed. Whether teamed with rose ruching, resting on the sweetest of plunging necklines or dangling from a satin glove ensconced wrist, this dame was a consistent magpie fest.
However, the former Miss Hungary 1936 is arguably as renowned for her affaires of the heart as her subdued style.
Throughout her considerable (and still going strong) 95 years she has accumulated an impressive nine husbands, including one Conrad Hilton (recently brought back to our attention thanks to a fictional starring role in ABC’s Mad Men) and George Sanders. It is also claimed that whilst married to Hilton, she slept with her stepson Nicky, who later went on to marry fellow sparklemonger Elizabeth Taylor.
Described as “glamour personified”, Gabor could never be accused of wallflowery. Whether spilling out of the top of some particularly snug corsetry, or wiggling her enviably proportioned hourglass silhouette from fabulous party to even more fabulous wedding ceremony – she was dressed to snare and be seen.
Amongst a long list of dateline worthy quotes, there sometimes reappeared a somewhat perceptible theme of feminism, perhaps off a different tack than that of Doc Martin clad Ms Moran: “I always goof. I pay all my own bills … I want to choose the man. I do not permit men to choose me.”
“Men have always liked me and I have always liked men. But I like a mannish man, a man who knows how to talk to and treat a woman—not just a man with muscles.” Amen to that sister.
Styling by Rebecca Corbin-Murray
1. Irene Neuwirth, Rainbow Moonstone & Diamond Drop Earrings; £16675, motilo.com
2. Munnu, Rose & Round Cut Diamond Triple Line Convertible Necklace; £69850, motilo.com
3. Cathy Waterman, Pink Star Sapphire & Amethyst Leaf Pendant Necklace; £32,194, motilo.com
4. Irene Neuwirth, Labradorite & Diamond Drop Earrings; £38,329, motilo.com
5. Vivienne Westwood Anglomania, Petal Cotton Dress; £435, motilo.com
6. Nicholas Kirkwood, Swarovski Crystal-embellished PVC and Satin Slingbacks; £790, motilo.com
7. Charlotte Olympia, + Agent Provocateur Candice Crystal Pompom Silk Sandals; £595, motilo.com
8. L’Wren Scott, Printed Stretch-silk Satin Dress; £980, motilo.com
9. Valentino, Bow Silk-satin Clutch; £495, motilo.com
10. Lanvin, Sea Breeze Minaudiere; £1260, motilo.com